Program for Seniors
Important forms for current program participants:
In June 2017, the Georgia Health Care Association (GHCA) launched a Music Integration Program for Seniors benefitting residents in skilled nursing centers across Georgia. GHCA has partnered with the Music & Memorysm Organization and other key stakeholders to develop the program, which encourages the involvement of family, community and staff to integrate personalized music into resident activities and caregiving.
The Music Integration Program for Seniors is a two year, $800,000.00 grant, awarded by CMS and funded through civil monetary penalty funds. It provides for the participation of 150 skilled nursing centers (up to 15 residents per center). There are no exclusion criteria; however, due to the state determined distribution of funds, enrollment for participating centers will require a staggered implementation and will be considered on a first come, first considered basis.
MIPS is designed to benefit both the residents and the associates of Georgia's skilled nursing centers through:
· Assistance in obtaining participating centers' Music & Memorysm certification
· Enhancement of the center's activity programs and resident bathing experiences through music-based strategies
· The decreased use of psychotropic medications
These strategies are intended to enhance the resident's quality of life through improved social engagement, increased meaningful interactions - resident to resident, staff to resident, & resident to family, lessen agitation & resistance to care, decrease staff turnover, and increase intergenerational family & community involvement. The program includes the cost, training, & technical support associated with Music & Memorysm certification, along with the equipment necessary to implement all the components of the Music Integration Program for Seniors at participating centers:
· Laptop (with additional external speaker for group music-based activities)
· Mountable bathing suite speakers
· iPods, earphones, and other personal equipment for 15 residents
· $500 iTunes card
· "Alive Inside" license
· Instruments for activities
To ensure MIPS success and sustainability, engaged leadership with a multi-department, interdisciplinary team committed to the overall goals of the program is vital. This program involves not just the activity department, but is to be implemented in all areas of the resident's care plan. We encourage the team to be comprised of persons from nursing services, OT, PT, dietary, environmental services, activities, as well as, executive leadership.
To begin the enrollment process, please complete the Participation Agreement (linked below) and return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact Tiffany Nelson, GHCA MIPS Program Coordinator at 478-258-9483 or via email at email@example.com.
- MIPS Program Best Practices
- MIPS Presentation - 2020 Quality Summit
- MIPS Program Webinar April 2020
- MIPS Program Webinar February 2020
- MIPS Program Update - GANLTC Annual Meeting Presentation 2018