National Skilled Nursing Care Week "Celebrating Life's Stories" May 13-19, 2018
Established by the American Health Care Association (AHCA) in 1967 and always beginning on Mother's Day, National Skilled Nursing Care Week (NSNCW), formerly known as National Nursing Home Week, provides an opportunity to recognize the role of skilled nursing care centers in caring for America's seniors and individuals with disabilities.
The 2018 NSNCW theme, “Celebrating Life's Stories”, serves as a tribute to life's most significant events, relationships and experiences that shape the unique perspectives of residents, families, staff, and volunteers in long term and post-acute care. From May 13-19, 2018, centers will be encouraged to collect individual narratives to cultivate a shared sense of purpose at the center and in the surrounding community.
To celebrate, GHCA's Public Relations Committee will again host the NSNCW Social Media Photo Contest. Help us showcase the wonderful things your center is doing to enrich the lives of those entrusted in your care by participating. See contest guidelines below.
GHCA Social Media Photo Contest Guidelines
- Capture photos of the activities/events being held at your facility during National Skilled Nursing Care Week May 13-19, 2018.
- Please ensure all signage, flyers, decorations, etc. that could be visible in your center's photo submission reflects the accurate title of the observance, National Skilled Nursing Care Week, and not the former title, National Nursing Home Week.
- Pick one (1) photo that you feel best showcases the fun your center's residents and staff had during the week. This photo must be a single image. We will not accept photo collage entries. GHCA will only accept one photo per facility.
- Submit the chosen photo, a brief caption for the photo, and your center's name to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 21, 2018. Be sure you have permission from all individuals in the photo to share on social media via photo consent form. Photos will be posted on the GHCA Facebook page as we receive them.
- Visit GHCA's Facebook page and “Like” it if you have not already done so.
- “Like” your center's photo.
- Encourage everyone you know to “Like” the GHCA Facebook page and your center's photo.
- "Likes" will count towards the contest until 12:00 p.m. on Friday, May 25. At that point, GHCA will announce the winner.
The photo receiving the most “Likes” will be our 2018 NSNCW Social Media Photo Contest Winner. The winning center will be recognized at the June Summer Convention and will win a Wii gaming system and gift card!
Tip: Though you have until 5:00 p.m. on May 21 to submit your photo, the earlier the photo is submitted the more time you have to receive “Likes”.
To ensure the privacy and dignity of residents, their family members, and staff, please go through the following checklist before you submit your photo:
- A signed photo consent form for each individual in your center's submitted photo must be obtained.
- Take the time to look at EVERY person in the photo, even those in the background, to ensure each individual in the photo is represented in a dignified manner.
- Study the photo to ensure no HIPAA personal identifiers (e.g., pictures, neighborhoods, birth dates, etc.) or any other confidential items are visible.
- Pre-Planning Tip: Before taking photos during parties or events, ensure that all resident files or other confidential items are put away before a group photo is taken. Don't forget to cover the white boards.
- Before submitting your photo, please take a moment to reflect on how your caption will be perceived. Be respectful. Communicate clearly and courteously.
AHCA Planning Guide
AHCA has issued a planning guide and product catalog focused on “Celebrating Life's Stories.” Click here to access.
Click here to visit the NSNCW website to access additional NSNCW resources.